My work team went for lunch at Raw Aura today and then my friend brought me Sprouted Almond and Fennel Quinoa and Black Bean Chocolate Fudge made by his sister’s catering company Eat What’s Good this afternoon. So I was really on the raw food train today!
Hence my inspiration for today’s recipe – Raw Almond Date Squares. This is the first raw recipe I’ve made and I have to say, it was expensive (I have to start buying in bulk) but definitely worth it! My family loves their junk food and hates when I make “healthy alternatives” but they loved these squares, and my coworkers and friends kept going back for more!
The best comparison I heard was to a healthy Fig Newton. They’re very sweet and natural so you don’t feel ill eating a ton. The filling is thick and sticky, and the crust is crunchy yet smooth from the coconut oil. I also have to mention that they have no added sugar, no flour, and require 6 ingredients!
Inspiration and adaptation from Oh She Glows
1.5 cups whole raw almonds
½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup regular oats
Dash of salt
10 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
½ cup coconut oil
25 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
½ cup water
1. Line a pan with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, process the almonds, oats, coconut and salt until a fine crumble forms.
3. Add in the dates process until crumbly again
4. Melt the coconut oil and add to the mixture and process until sticky.
5. Remove from processor and set aside 3/4 cup of the mixture for topping later. Press the rest of the mixture very firmly and evenly into the pan.
6. For the filling: Process the chopped dates and water in the food processor until a paste forms. Spread the mixture onto the crust evenly.
7. Finish them off with the remaining mixture and gently press down evenly over the filling.
8. Refrigerate in the fridge until firm (I left them in the fridge overnight). Then cut into squares and serve!
Make sure you store them in the fridge or freezer. I suggest melting peanut butter and drizzling it on top to make them extra delicious and a nice added touch.