This Cheesy Chicken and Artichoke Lasagna recipe is inspired by our friend Chantelle, who if you had to describe her in one word, it would have to be faaaaabulous! This is also a word she uses a lot so it’s quite fitting 😉 She recently acquired new Kitchen Aid casserole dishes and wanted to put them to good use, so what could be better then homemade lasagna?! She felt like doing a non traditional lasagna to mix it up because she typically has just “meat pasta with red sauce,” her words not mine! Chantelle also recommends eating it fresh out of the oven and with a nice glass of red wine…but we all know food is better with wine!
A really great lasagna is one of those meals you feel so good and so full after eating because of its density and rich flavours. When I lived in Italy, my friend’s mom made the BEST home made lasagna…we had it for dinner one night in their beautiful, lush backyard before the Veal Scallopini course and myyyy goodness I wish I could go back! Thanks Chants for sharing this recipe with us 🙂 I think a dinner party is in order.
- 12 Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles
- 500g chicken meat from boneless, skinless breasts, cut into 1” cubes
- ½ tsp Himalayan or fine sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 350g 1% fat cottage cheese
- 150g light cream cheese
- 75g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp grain mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 75g cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 225g Light Mozzarella, grated
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Cook the lasagnas according to the instructions on the package.
- Meanwhile, coat a large non-stick pan with a bit of olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Add the pieces of chicken and cook until it’s starting to turn light golden brown on all sides then add onions, garlic, salt and pepper and continue cooking for a few minutes. Add the spinach and saute until the onions become translucent and take a slight golden coloration, the spinach is wilted, and the chicken is a nice light golden brown. Since you’re baking it in the over, you don’t want to overcook the chicken on the stove or it will be try in the lasagne. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, buttermilk and mustard in food processor bowl and process until well combined and super creamy. Add basil and parsley and pulse a few times to incorporate.
- Transfer half of this cheese mixture to a large mixing bowl. Stir in artichokes, chestnuts, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, reserved chicken mixture and 100 grams of the grated mozzarella. Mix delicately until well combined.
- Spread half the plain cheese mixture at the bottom of a 12 x 9 baking dish. Cover with 3 lasagna noodles. Top that with one third of the cheesy chicken mixture and add another 3 noodles. Repeat chicken mixture then 3 more noodles followed by last of the chicken mixture and last 3 noodles; finally, spread remaining plain cheese mixture and sprinkle remaining 125g mozzarella on top.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until top gets all golden and bubbly.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Inspiration from The Healthy Foodie