My ultimate guilt food (like any other person) is a heaping bowl of Poutine. No explanation necessary for anyone who has tried the food before. Of course, I’d love to eat this dish for breakfast but I’m not sure any heart could stand it. Deep fried potatoes topped with cheese curds and thick gravy. Wow.
This recipe takes some of the nastier parts of Poutine and attempts a slightly healthier version. Okay not healthy…. But not heart wrenchingly fattening. I still wouldn’t recommend eating it everyday but its perfect for a treat every now and again. Sweet potatoes add a little extra nutrients and powdered gravy has nearly no fat. I use a really sharp cheese like an old white Balderson cheddar so you don’t need as much of it to get that really rich taste.
• 2 sweet potatoes, washed and sliced into thin fry shapes
• 1 package dry gravy
• 1 cup old white cheddar (I used balderson)
• sea salt for seasoning
• olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 450
2. After slicing the potatoes, lay them flat on a baking tray and sprinkle some sea salt and olive oil on top.
3. Place on middle rack and bake for 22 minutes
4. While the fries are baking, grate 1 cup of cheese and leave aside
5. Cook the powdered gravy according to directions on the package
6. Once the fries seemed cooked through, move them to the top rack and broil them for 5 minutes or until they start the brown slightly
7. Assemble! Put the fries into bowls, sprinkle cheese on top and distribute the gravy.
Wipe the drool away and enjoy!!